Friday, March 6, 2015

Homemade toothpaste...

As you know, I have taken the time to make lots of things in my home more natural. I am trying to get away from all the store bought ingredients, fragrances and general toxins that we buy in a lot of our things. I have made my own laundry detergent for years now. I have also made my own deodorant (the baking soda gave me a rash so now I just use a salt crystal). I make my own cleaning supplies with orange peels soaked in vinegar. I try to make as much of our own food as we can...homemade yogurt, tortillas, etc. And I have just recently ventured into using Young Living Essential Oils as part of my household now. I use them for everything!

One of the things I have been meaning to try for a while is toothpaste. I have been buying different "natural" brands that I could find, but they still have some questionable ingredients that I would like to avoid. So, today I made my own toothpaste.... (I got this recipe from pinterest).

1 part coconut oil
1 part baking soda
about 1 tsp. hydrogen peroxide
stevia (optional)
peppermint essential oils (to taste)

I was all set on this working and being my new toothpaste but then I tried it...YUCK!!!! I cannot get past the taste of the baking soda. It was so bitter and salty. Gross! After I tried it, I added 2 packs of stevia and it was a little better. I don't think that this is something I could use every single day, but I think I could use it a couple times a week or so. Maybe my hubby will like it because he likes bitter tasting things. I am gonna make him try it out tonight.

If you try it (or a similar recipe to this one) let me know what you think in the comments below. I would love to hear from you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing comments from everyone! Thank you for taking the time to post one!! :)