Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent

I have been making my own laundry detergent for awhile now, but normally I make a powdered version. I decided to make a liquid one this time because it uses less ingredients and I think it will last me a lot longer. This is not my recipe, it is the Dugger's recipe. I got it out of their book 20 and Counting.

First I gathered all my ingredients...Washing soda, Borax and 1 bar of Fels Naptha soap.

Grate the bar of Fels Naptha.

Place the soap shavings in a pot and cover with water.

Stir continuously until all the soap is melted and their is no longer any clumps of soap in the water. 

It will come out nice and smooth.

While the soap is melting, place the other ingredients in a 5 gallon bucket. 1 cup Washing Soda and 1/2 cup of Borax. 


After the soap is completely melted pour the hot soap over the powder and stir until all the powder is dissolved. I had to stir this for a little while.

.
Next, I filled up the bucket with hot tap water. I tried to spray on the sides so it wouldn't get too sudsy on top. (I learned this the hard way haha).

Stir the bucket with whatever you can find. The only thing I had long enough was my fly swatter. Haha

It will end up a very smooth mixture. Cover and let it sit overnight so it can gel up. 

Once the mixture has sat overnight, I stirred it all up. It was a little challenging cuz it was really gelled up but it worked. I would have just needed a more firm stick to stir with. 


When it was all stirred up and not as clumpy, I used a measuring cup and poured the mixture into a gallon jug. I filled it up half way. 

Then you fill the rest of the way up with water to make a full gallon of liquid detergent. Shake before using.

I am very excited about my laundry detergent. I have used it a couple times already and am very pleased with the results. My clothes have come out clean...just like when I use the powder version. I hope you enjoy this tutorial and try to make you own detergent. I am expecting this batch to last me anywhere from 6-8 months. :)

No comments: