Monday, October 17, 2011

Making crayons...

 Get your little one doing something where he won't get into everything. It just happened to be lunch time when I decided (on a whim) to make him some crayons. He can use regular ones, but the ones I make are just easier for him to hold.



Make sure to peel the paper off of all the crayons. This is the hardest part in my opinion because it hurts my fingers. All my crayons are old too so the paper was practically melted on.




I used parchment paper to line my muffin tins. It makes the crayons a little creased looking around the edge (not like a smooth circle) but it's so much easier to take out when they are done. It didn't matter what they looked like anyway...J didn't care. As long as they put color on the paper. :)


Put whatever colors you like together. You can make them perfect and put all the exact same colors together or you can mix it up (like I did) and just add "similar" colors together.





This one I just put all the leftover colors into.




Set the oven to 250*. Any low setting will do...


Put them into the oven and just watch them melt. Mine took about 20-30 minutes.


Let them cool in the pan until they are totally hard. The parchment paper will come right off.




Aren't the colors so pretty? I really like doing this. I love to see how they turn out b/c they will all be different.




If you want to, you can mix the colors with a toothpick or something when you first take them out of the oven and they are still liquid. That will make them a more unified color and they won't be marbleized like mine are.
I hope you enjoy making your own crayons as much as I do. I would love to see pictures if you try this and blog about it. Just link back to my blog so I can see them!  :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow I didn't know you could bake crayons. Tasty....I mean artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea! I don't think my little chickadee can hold regular crayons very well yet but these I'm sure she could and we've never colored before - oh I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats such a cool idea! i wonder if u can reuse them after they dry..

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing comments from everyone! Thank you for taking the time to post one!! :)