Monday, February 23, 2009

My new manual typewriter...

I was so excited to see this box arrive last week. It actually went to my mom's house. She called me when it came in and she said I have to see all of the stamps that were put on it. It's awesome! I love stamps and this box had tons (as you can see).

I especially like these. They are a $.17 and a $.03. They are so cool.

These love ones are pretty cool, too.

Here is my typewriter. I absolutely LOVE it. I have typed on it almost everyday since I got it. I even type when I really don't have anything to say. I love how the words look in my art journal. The font is great!! My dad used to have one that I would play on when I was little, but his was electric. I love that this one is manual so that I can pretty much take it anywhere and not have to worry about finding a plug.

I love punching the keys and hearing that sound...click, clack, clickety, clack. You have to push them pretty hard to work. I am thinking that it is from around the 60's. If anyone out there knows the actual date, I would love to know.

When I read the discription for it, the guy said that when he typed on it the words were very faint. The ribbon would have to be replaced. I figured that it wouldn't be a problem because I could just order more off the internet for cheap. When I was researching ribbon on google though, they had a lady that I read about. She said that she just "re-inks" her ribbon and has been doing so for several years and has never had to actually replace her ribbon. She just had a brief description about it, but it wasn't very clear. I decided to try this idea first anyway. I figured it wouldn't be that hard to figure out. If I ruined the ribbon then I would have just had to buy a new one anyway. I didn't have anything to lose, so I tried it.
I set up my own makeshift station where I could re-ink the ribbon by myself (my hubby wasn't home at the time and I was too impatient to wait for him). I first put one end around a paintbrush and just propped it up inside some tape rolls. That would make it easy to unroll one end. I started with all the ribbon on the right side.

Then, I would hold the left side of the roll and pull on the ribbon as I held it down over the ink pad with this bottle. I just ran the ribbon over the ink pad a couple of times and re-rolled it on the left end of the roll. It took a little while, but in the end all the ribbon ended up back on the left side of the roll totally re-inked. Now was the test...did it work?!?

YES!!! It absolutely did. The top line was the first thing I typed when I took it out of the box. The bottom line is after I re-inked it. You can totally tell the difference. The one at the bottom is much darker. I was happy about that because I didn't really want to have to order the ink and then have to wait even longer to use the typewriter.

3 comments:

  1. Very resourceful and oh so fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool. I had one during my school time. But not too sure whether it is still in store room or mom had sold it out.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing comments from everyone! Thank you for taking the time to post one!! :)