Sunday, October 5, 2008

Company and other things...

I get to see this little cutie today. Her family is coming for a visit later on this afternoon. I love to play with her. She comes up with the funniest things!! :) We are going to have a fun day!!
My mom is baking bread for us to have with supper. I love when she does this. It makes the house smell wonderful. I will learn how to do that one day, too. I will be cooking in my new place so she is going to have to teach me a few things. It might take a while, but I think I will get it eventually.

I was thinking the other day about the difference between blank journaling books and altered books. I don't like the idea of a blank, white page staring at me so I usually just go about and quickly make backgrounds. I started thinking about altering books lately because I figured that it wouldn't be a blank, white page. It would already have stuff on it so maybe I wouldn't be so scared of it. After all this went through my mind I thought about our library here in town. They have a tiny book sale in the back where paperbacks are $.25 and hardbacks are $.50. I went the other day and look at all the goodies I found over there. I got all of these books for $2.50. That's a lot of journals for me to go through later. I picked them for there size mainly. They weren't too thick and they weren't too small. Most of them are paperback too, so they will bend easily when I open them. I surely didn't tell the librarian what I was gonna do with them though. She would have freaked out. I figure that no one is loving them in a stuffy old back room anyway so why can't I take them home and love them as I alter them. :) Anyone else agree with me, or do you disagree that I shouldn't "ruin" a book like that?!?



They also had a box that said magazines, please take some. So, I got all these magazines for free. Yay...more stuff to cut up and collage with. I got a lot of Better Homes and Gardens, maybe I will get some ideas about how to decorate my new house.

I borrowed this book from the library. I thought it was really cool. I always just use my own handwriting in my journals so I thought that this would be a fun way to expand my horizons, so to speak. It is a really fun book. I never think about drawing my words this way, but I might have to start now!!!
I hope everyone had a good weekend. Enjoy your sunday because the dreaded Monday is right around the corner. haha :D

4 comments:

buying penny stocks said...

i think you add more info about it.

Retro Girl said...

Great finds!!!
I bought a book at the thrift shop for the same thing--to paint/draw over, etc. (hardback) but I kinda 'ruined part of it..lol (it is the type with Glued signatures in it, and those are harder to remove some pages...) I did a few watercolors on some of the pages and they look really cool. Another artist friend of mine advised me to use watered down acrylics--that works...but to get books where the signatures are sewn in, in case you want to remove 1 or 2 signatures ('packets' of the folded pages) then it's easier. I'm still experimenting. Let us know how your experiences are with it...I still need to play with it more.

This weekend we're building a 'library closet" with a spare walk-in closet...and moving stuff...we want to put my art room in the open loft, and start building the nursery!

Retro Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sunnie_fairy said...

oh, yummy bread. you are so right about sunday... :d